Saturday, August 20, 2011

New challenge, new hill and new reference ride?

I came home from work yesterday feeling depressed and defeated. There is too much to do, the clients are unreasonably demanding (although that is as much my fault as anything for not managing expectations and taking control) and I feel the lack of support. I really wanted to go for a ride but there was not the time and things to do so I put it off until today.

It was fine this morning and I intended to go out early and head for the hills - up towards Bylchau or even further. Of course the best laid plans and all that... I got up later that I intended, the house needed cleaning, we needed shopping, C. had a riding lesson and so it was already 1pm and I still hadn't got out. We had lunch and then went to Ruthin as C. needed new uniform for high school. On our return the rain had arrived although it was only drizzle and I wasn't going to be defeated!

After adjusting the brake cables I eventually got out on the bike (which, by the way, is becoming more of a liability as time goes on) and headed off towards Waen and then up into the Clwydians, a new set of hills for me as I usually head towards the Denbigh Moor - Prion, Nantglyn, Bylchau being good examples.

OMG as they say! The climb out of Llangwyfan was a killer for me. I had to stop a number of times (I didn't count) before I got to the top but the views were stunning and the descent down to Nanerch was the reward for all the effort. The weather held off and the undulating run back to Denbigh was not too challenging apart from the head wind.




This, or the road the other side of Moel Arthur may well become the reference ride for hill-climbing fitness from now on!

JoD

No comments:

Post a Comment