Monday, December 12, 2011

Do I really want to commute to work?

In October I did a ride that forms part of the proposed commute to work. It was a round trip of about 30km which roughly equates to the total distance from home to the office and can be seen here. 30 km has been about my comfortable limit so far as my fitness improves and I have reached the point where I am planning longer rides.

Well today I pushed things out a bit and did a longer section of the commute, at 43km round trip.



The weather was OK - cloudy and cold (5 or 6 centigrade) with a light wind which was behind or to the side on the way out. The route is fairly flat - rolling or bumpy as they say in cycling circles and mostly on roads upto the A55 where there is a cycle path to Bodelwyddan. Once there it's back to roads, although low traffic until the A548 is reached. At Abergele I took a short cut to Pensarn wherre I can pick up the coastal cycle path which will take me all the way to Old Colwyn hugging the coast. I can think of worse places to be cycling! The view out across the bay is outstanding almost any time of year.

I will have to do a few more rides of this kind of distance to improve my fitness further leading up to tackling the ride to work and back. If I can do the whole 60 plus km in one go then the commute will be far easier as it will be  30km twice, sandwiched around a days work in an office. I just need to pursuade the company to install a shower or hope tha there is one in the new premises when we eventually move.

Per ardua ad astra.

JoD

No comments:

Post a Comment